What can be done for low platelet count?

Hi Doctor, My platelets count has been abnormally low as 35000. I was suffering from E-Coli and there more than 1 lakh bacteria. I was hospitalized and got treatment. Doctor said the E-Coli infection is gone and I came back home. After a few days, I started feeling pain on my back. After blood tests, it was found that the platelets count is low. I got admitted for a 2nd time. They did a MRI and a bone marrow test. Bone marrow test result is yet to come but the doctors said there may be fibrosis in bone marrow. They gave me 2 units of blood. Now the Hb and WBC is normal, but platelets count is still low. Please advice.
Posted Thu, 19 Dec 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Can't comment w/t additional details + test report Detailed Answer: Hi there, Thanks for your query. Firstly, in order to PINPOINT the exact cause of your problems; give you a SOUND professional advice; and, TRUE VALUE FOR YOUR MONEY, I request you to kindly provide additional information as follows :- * Did you suffer from E.coli diarrhea, urinary infection or septicemia? * Did you have any transient complication of kidneys during E.coli infection? * Has your Hb been low (anemia) since several years? * What were the values of Hb%, Total Leukocyte count and Differential leukocyte count in the tests done for E.coli infection? * Have you been having frequent infections of different nature in the past? * Did you have any excessive bleeding tendency ( heavy menstrual bleeding, bleeding from gums, nose, mouth or anus/in stools? * Have you ever had or have been having occasional red, pinhead size spots on the body? * Have you been on chronic treatment for any medical condition? If yes, please name the drugs. * Do you have any family history of low platelet count? PLEASE NOTE :- ANSWERES TO ALL OF THE ABOVE-MENTIONED QUERIES, ARE VERY IMPORTANT FOR ME TO REACH TO A DEFINITE CONCLUSION. Nevertheless,- till such time I received the additional information as requested- the possible causes (based on the information provided by you) of persisting low platelet count are:- # Infection-induced, particularly due to a specific strain of E.coli. # Fibrosis of the bone-marrow,- a condition in which, the bone marrow is destroyed and replaced by fibrous tissue. All blood cells, INCLUDING PLATELETS, are produced in the Bone marrow. # Drug-induced : Some drugs reduce the platelet counts. Withdrawal of the offending drug, reverts the platelet counts to normal levels. # A condition called Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura- a condition, though being most commonly seen in early childhood, also occurs in adults, is associated with an underlying disorder; autoimmune disorders, particularly SLE and hepatitis C infections. At present, I cannot offer any comments on the possible cause, until I have the additional information as requested: AND, MRI + Bone marrow test reports. I would therefore recommend that- in addition to MRI and Bone marrow test- Peripheral Blood smear analysis should also be carried out. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with my opinion; order required tests, and- based on the reports- will arrive at a certain diagnosis and prescribe suitable treatment as advised. In any case, I will be looking forward to receipt of the additional information; reports of MRI, Bone marrow test and Peripheral blood smear. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal