Random sharp pain on swallowing or breathing, stabbing pain from chest to back, hurts on stretching fully. Cause?

Girlfriend has a random sharp pain when swallowing or breathing , said it feels like a sword going through her from chest to back in the upper area between her breasts. It hurts to stretch out fully, but nothing is sore or tender. It was quickly onset getting worse over time. Her throat is starting to hurt on one side where she says the gland is hard, not swollen. Is it possible it may be just gas or dehydration? She does do a lot of sports.
Asked On : Sat, 22 Sep 2012