Pregnant, ultrasound shows sack. Pregnancy retained even after bleeding, have nausea and sensitive breasts. Is this common?

I am 29 and this is my third pregnancy. I am 6 weeks pregnant and started bleeding a week ago. Some days are heavier than others. After three days of bleeding I had an ultrasound and the doctor was able to see the sack, but it was too early to see a baby. She said everything looked good and didn t know why I was bleeding. She warned it could lead to a miscarriage and told me what to look for. She said we were going to call it guarded optimisim because she couldn t tell me everything was 100% okay. Immediately after the ultrasound I had one dime sized clot. Then several dime sized ones that night, Friday I had one cherry sized clot, and on Saturday I had one silver dollar sized clot. I freaked out on Sunday and went and took a pregnancy test to make sure i was still preganant and according to the test I am still preganant. I m still hormonal , get nauseated, and get tired which were my two symptoms. My boobs aren t as sensitive but are still swollen, but that s all that has changed. I have had no pain, and was told if I had a miscarriage I d be in a lot of pain. I have some discomfort but not even a cramp . The discomfort is very mild, and usually requires me to nap it off, or switch positions. I have heard and read that a lot of women bleed during pregnancy. My mother bled the entire pregnancy with me and with my sister as well. My first to pregnancies were successful and I never bled with them. Is this common? Why am I bleeding? What caused the clots? Were the clots something to worry about? I go back for another ultrasound this thursday. Any advice and information would be very helpful.
Asked On : Fri, 7 Dec 2012