Pregnant, severe cramps due to stretching of uterus. Normal symptoms?

hi my daughter just found out last week she was 5 weeks pregnant and is about 6 now. this is her first pregnancy and she has been having some major cramping. she went for her first dr. visit this past friday and the nurse practitioner said that this is normal because the uterus is stretching and that we should only be concerned if there was bleeding along with it. she usually cramps some during the day but every night between 12 am and 2 am is when it is worse. is this normal?
Asked On : Thu, 10 Jan 2013