Period duration extends. Ultrasound showed enlarged uterus with prominent cavity echos, clots. What might be the reasons?

my mother is 43 years old .... she period duration extends =9days with lot of blood loss...on performing real time Ultra sonogram of the pelvis its detected that she has retroverted,enlarged uterus with prominent cavity echos... doctor assumes its due to clots? Can you please suggest of what might be the reasons behind such condition? What steps should be taken to prevent it and what tests are suggested to be done?
Asked On : Sat, 30 Jun 2012