Pain in medial joint line and below the patella. Popping in the knee. Help

Hi. I am a 41 year old runner. I took a few weeks off. Started up again this week. My knee started popping after a short run. I developed medial joint line pain. Now it pops everytime I extend it. Going upstairs causes the same. I have rested it for 4 days with about a 25% reduction in pain. The pain is now infrapatellar also. My sneakers are in good shape. I have never had knee pain that lasted more than a day before. Wondering is it could be a small tear in the meniscus or sudden arthritic symptoms. No reddness or swellling. How long should I wait before going to a physician? Thanks
Asked On : Thu, 2 May 2013