Old aged. Taking zapiz. Swelling in toes. Side effect of medicine? Sodium, potassium level below range

My father is taking zapiz 0.5mg as per doctors prescription. His age is 83 years and taking this medicine for the last 1 year. At present i noticed that for the last couple of weeks his toes are swelling and could not be recovered to normal shape . Now doctor i want to ask if its the side effect of the medicine or any other problem. Recently a blood test has been done which shows the level of potassium and sodium are both below the normal range.
Asked On : Sat, 23 Feb 2013