Old aged. Pain in lungs after eating mashed potato. Constant coughing. How to dislodge food?

My father is 83 and is at home on hospage 4 days relaxed after the hospatal. Nurse him back strong so he was able to sit in whellchair watch Tv and eat 3 meals. Last night he ate mash pototos on h in left lower quadant of lungs now feels pain and has discomfort of something in there same pain as before sleeping. Still coughhing on and off anything I can do to dis log food or give a better chance for the body to self dislog
Asked On : Sat, 9 Mar 2013