Numbness in fingers, swelling in both hands, pain down arms, depressed, lethargic, numbness in toes. Reason?

My elderly father has become seriously incapacitated over the past few weeks. Numbness in fingers on both hands. Swelling in both hands which comes and goes but can be very severe. Pain down arms and lack of muscle strength. Lack of movement in fingers.Depressed and lethargic. He has been tested for arthritis , rheumatism and gout and although Uric acid a little high, not at gout level. He has had numbness in toes for some time but no pain or swelling. Can you think of anything else that might have been missed?
Asked On : Tue, 13 Nov 2012