My 3 months baby is suffering from stage 5 zone I Retinopathy of prematurity. Suggest me about the surgery

Dear sir my 3 months baby is suffering from stage 5 zone I ROP. i had taken him to Sankar Netralaya Chennai. I am forwarding you case summary given to me by them. Pls help. Case summary:- NAME:- RISHIT THAKUR AGE:- 3 MONTHS DOB:- 21 June 10 (GA 29 weeks, wt 1300 gms) on examination, the child had zone 1 retinopathy of prematurity which was very severe and there was florid disease in the posterier pole with total avascular retina inthe mid periphery and periphery. The media was very extremely hazy and already fibrovascular tissue started to form in the posterier pole. It was felt that we will try some amount of laseer as much as possible followed by avastin to see how much the disease can be controlled. The severe nature of the disease and poor prognosis was explained to the parents and as much laser as possible was performed on 03 sep 10 & AVASTIN was injected on 06 sep 10 in one eye & on 08 sep10 in the fellow eye. As of 13 sep 10, we find that the disease is still much active and there is dense fibrovascular tissue which is covered the posterior pole with no retinal view in the posterior pole. The peripheral retina is vaguely made out & the disease is still very very florid. It was felt that surgery in the form of lensectomy + vitrectomy at this stage would not be possible & it is best that we wait for two to three weeks for the vascularity to come down before attempting a lensectomy & vitrectomy. So surgery still not done. pls also suggest me about surgery.
Asked On : Wed, 22 Sep 2010