Missed taking birth control pills. Heavy bleeding after intercourse. Why? Should I start a new pack of pills?

Hi Dr, I was on my 14th day of the cilest pill , I had missed 3 days of it separately but continued to take it and on the 14th day I had sex, after the sex I bleed heavily, I had assumed I had taken my period but it stopped in 24 hours (my period usually lasts 7 days). This is my 4th month on the cilest pill. I have not continued taking it as I thought I had started my period. Why did I bleed and should I start a new pack of pills?
Asked On : Fri, 3 Aug 2012