Lump in the throat, spitting blood. Chances of throat cancer? Have smoking habit

Hello, I have a lump like thing in my throat and I am quite sure that I do because its been like 2-4 months since I last felt this. Anyway, this morning when I woke up I cleared my throat and for the first time I spit out blood . I am not sure if it really is blood but it is red. My throat does not hurt its just the irritating lump inside. I tried to clear my throat again and then my spit is back to the way it was. Is this serious? a throat cancer? does it have something to do with my lungs? because I smoke a lot when I drink alcohol but when I don t, I only smoke for up to 2 or 3 sticks a day.
Asked On : Fri, 29 Mar 2013