Large purple bruise below left knee, no injury. History of sudden unexplained bruises. Cause of worry?

Hello Doctor, I just recently got a large bruise on the left bottom corner just bellow my left knee . I don t recall any instance where i bumped something near that area that caused me to have a large dark purple bruise about 3inches in diameter. I would appreciate it so much if you could tell me if this is just a normal bruise or if it could lead to something worse. I have had similar bruises on several areas of my body appearing a time after the other without engaging into activities that can cause me to have one. I look forward to your reply.
Asked On : Mon, 11 Feb 2013