1. Please get a throat swab sent for culture and antibiotic sensitivity. Then add antibiotics accordingly.
2. Remember to also send an additional throat swab to check for fungal infection
or oral thrush
, which may complicate the picture due to long term use of antibiotics.
3. Viral infections will not respond to antibiotics, but you will need supportive medication
such as pain relievers, anti histaminics and medicated gargles like Betadine.
4. Certain medications for arthritis may cause sore throat
5. Rarely, if there is no fever, there may be no infection at all and the pain may be due to advanced arthritis
of the delicate joints in the throat and neck.