Irregular periods, not breast feeding, racing heart, feels beating hard in chest. Cause?

I am almost 45 with 5 children from 16-2yrs old. I have only recently had extremely irregular periods from 28 days, then 42 days, with this last one 65 days. I am not breast feeding and have recently woken in the night with a racing heart that I can feel beating hard in my chest . I usually just try to breath slowly until it dissipates, however, I am concerned since I have never had any health issues. I am 45yrs old almost, 5 2 and 143lbs. What could be going on with my heart, and is there a possible correlation between extremely irregular periods and my night time racing heart?
Asked On : Tue, 17 Apr 2012