Intermittent sharp pains in groin area causing immense discomfort. Right treatment approach?

I have an intense sharp pain on the left side of my groin area, @ times it becomes debilitating and interrupts my sleep. It comes and goes and is not a constant ongoing thing but when it does act up it s bad. There is no visible signs on the outside of the body and I have been to my family doctor, he sent me to a gastroenterologist and he has told me it was not his forte ...the pain is real and wish to find out which direction to take...please advise and thank you.
Asked On : Mon, 28 Jan 2013