I have extreme pain in my knees. Have low platelet count

I m 22 years old and I m on presidnose to treat my ITP/low platelet count in my blood . I m taking 100mg per day and today, suddenly, at 4am, I woke up to extreme pain in my knees. The pain was sudden, sharp, and really intense. I could barely walk. I had to carefully hold onto things around me to down to the kitchen to grab ice to put on my knees, which at the moment is helping to subside the pain. I don t understand why this is happening. It is clear that my knees are really inflamed - and the only thing that I did differently today was to take Tums to treat heartburn . I m really scared because I read on another thread about a young girl with lupous, also on this medication, who took prednisone and wasn t able to walk. Does this cause arthritis? There are so many side effects - but losing the ability to walk is definitely a side effect that I cannot allow to happen; I d rather cease my treatment immediately and pray for my platelets to increase by a miracle . Does anyone know or have experienced something similar? Anyone have any insights, particularly about the arthritis bit?
Asked On : Mon, 27 Dec 2010
Hi. Welcome To HealthcareMagic
Osteonecrosis term is used to describe cellular death in bone tissue.It could be osteonecrosis due prednisone for immune thrombocytopenic purpura. The unusual complication can occurr after a much shorter course of steroids of a considerably smaller cumulative dose than in previously reported cases.

Protected weight bearing Crutches or a walker are very useful in alleviating the pain associated with ON. I recommend the MRI of the Knee and then consultation with Orthopedics to look for the extent of damage to the knee.

You need to tapper the prednisone. DO not stop abruptly.

Regards, Dr. Jagdish