I have been a very heavy smoker for 23 yrs and terrified of lung cancer.

I am a 33yo female, 66 195 lbs. I have been a very heavy smoker for 23 yrs and have been experiencing severe pain under my right breast that goes through to my back and has recently began radiating to my shoulder . I also have overwhelming chest pressure against my sternum. CXR s show blunted costrophrenic angle and CT in 3/11 found a lung nodule 1.9cm x 2.6 cm (right lung) and a pericardial cyst. Have been trying to quit smoking and have made it to half pack a day from 3 packs a day. I cough up clearish/greenish phlegm that is sticky and hard (cylindrical balls) and has brown specks in it. My Dr doesn t seem concerned because of my age but most people don t start smoking at 10 or smoke 3 packs a day. I have had this severe pleuritic pain for a year constantly. I have many of the early lung cancer symptoms but no weight loss , instead I have gained weight. My grandfather died at 64 yo within 9 months of dx and he was a chain smoker as well. I am terrified and I know that the sooner it is diagnosed, the better the prognosis. I have 2 disabled, special needs children and want to live to see them into adulthood. My Dr hasn t given me any lung function tests and has never checked for asthma, COPD or anything else. I am in med school and the PFT we did there gave me a lung age of 80. My instructor calls me COPD because I can t laugh without choking or coughing. I am in the process of getting a new physician but it s a waiting game because of insurance. Any advice? I just want to live long enough to see my children become adults (youngest is 7). Thank you very much!!
Asked On : Sun, 12 Jun 2011