I have a headache after taking the Laxative

I just took a laxative because I feel bloated, after taking the laxative I have a headache.
Asked On : Wed, 17 Mar 2010
Pulmonologist 's  Response
it may be due to:-
Dehydration caused by hyperosmotic laxatives OR due to
Allergic reaction to one of the ingredients
  Anonymous's Response

Ok, you should not use it for such minor problems. Moreover laxative is not a solution for bloating problem. It can be mainly gas distension and you shall have to take charcoal to solve that.

Welcome to HCM,
When bowel movements are irregular then stool becomes hard and also it becomes difficult to pass; laxatives soften the stool and stimulate the intestines to evacuate. There are different laxative which includes fiber laxatives, hyperosmotics, stimulants and softeners. The mode of action of each laxative varies for example fiber laxatives increases the bulk of fecal matter, whereas hyperosmotics increases the water content. Etc. Generally laxatives are safe but one of the side effects of laxative is headache.
General & Family Physician Dr. Ashwini Kolur's  Response

I will try my best to answer your query.

Headache is not the common side effect of laxative use. If you think it is due to laxative avoid it and alter your diet, that will help you.
Any analgesic will be helpful for your headache.
It is always better to consult doctor before taking any drugs.

Hope my answer will be helpful for you.

General Surgeon Dr. Avinash A's  Response
welcome to hcm,
nothing to worry..take rest for sometime..dont depend too much on laxatives..have a good dietary habits..avoid eating fried foods..take care