Heavy mucus, difficulty in eating or drinking until long hacking episodes to eject mucus. Family history of thyroid. Reason?

I am coughing up a lot of mucus over the past several weeks. The mucus hacking episodes last for 15 minutes of gagging to get this stuff out. It doesn t stop for me until I get out the clump of mucus which is sometimes a dark brown, yellow, or red color. The majority of the mucus is a thick and white. It is to the point where I can t eat or drink until the stuff comes out. It makes me dizzy by the end of the episode of hacking. I don t have any food allergies . My dad s side of the family has thyroid, heart, and digestive problems. My grandma and dad had some procedure done to their throats. I have been tested for hypothyroidism many times and I come back clean. The only digestive problem I have had is with constipation , but I had a colonoscopy and everything was fine. I m not pregnant. I haven t done anything for this except gargle warm salt water and mucunex stuff. Nothing is working. I don t smoke or do drugs. I don t know what s wrong with me.
Asked On : Sun, 30 Dec 2012