Having pain in finger, swollen, red, impossible to bend, itchy. What is the problem?

I am 25 years old, I have had some recent health issues lately that me and my doctors have been stumped on. A couple weeks ago I noticed some pain in my pinky finger, when I looked down I notice that it was very swollen and red and it looked like the swelling was bulging out from the side of my middle joint . It was painful but I figured it was a spider bite . the next day I notice that the same thing was happening to my index finger on the opposite hand and was more severe. No bite marks were present. Through out the next few days it spread to almost all my finger except thumbs, some fingers where swollen at the tip joint instead bulging out to the side with bright red marks to accompany the swelling. In the one day I woke up and my fingers were so stiff at the joints and so swollen that it was impossible to bend them. That continued for a few days then started to go away. Its been a week and its starting to come back. Last thing, a strange thing happened to me this morning were I just finished up shoveling and I was standing there and I got a SEVERE pain in the tip of my thumb. It felt like someone jammed a needle in right to the bone, burnt a little then went away. There was no mark. Plus at night when my fingers were really bad the itched beyond belief. Please help!
Asked On : Fri, 15 Feb 2013