Having pain after 2 months of root canal treatment

I have done my root canal treatment 2 months back but today morning its started paining there. What may be the reason?
Asked On : Sun, 5 Dec 2010
Dentist, Prosthodontics 's  Response
First of all you need to discern that, is your tooth hurting or is it the gum around the tooth that is causing pain. many a times in root canal treated and capped teeth food gets lodged in between the cap and gums causing mild infection in the area causing pain and discomfort. if it is the gum then you just need to do warm saline rinses3-4 times/day, use a good mouthwash and take a mild pain killer if required. the pain will be relieved in a day or two.
If you are sure it is the tooth that is hurting then you need to visit your dentist who will take an xray and determine if you need a repeat root canal, if not then he may give you a course of an antibiotic and an anti inflamatory painkiller to remove whatever little infection caused it.
Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

Pain after root canal treament occurs due to re-infection of the canal leading to periapical abscess and inflammation of the adjacent tissues. Visit a Dentist and get an x-ray done of the affected tooth.
Take tab dologel three times a day for three days for pain relief.

If the tooth is capped food gets lodged sometimes leading to inflammation and swelling of the surrounding gums . Get complete mouth scaling and polishing done .
Maintain a good oral hygiene . Use 0.2% of chlorhexidine mouthwash solution twice a day .take saline water gargles 3-4 times a day.

Pain can also be because of presence of high points , Visit the dentist and get the occulusion corrected, so that it does not make contact with opposing tooth this will also protect the tooth from fracturing .

Dentist Dr. Farah Hussain's  Response
hi and welcome,
Root canal treatment is done over the infected teeth , it devitalises the tooth completely by removing the infected nerve tissue and the canals are cleaned ,shaped and filled with a synthetic nerve like material.
Tooth after the treatment is dead so there is no chance of pain, in your case pain can either be tooth related or gum related.
you need to visit a dentist and get a x ray done which will confirm the cause of pain.
If there is infection in gum or periodontal tissue it can be cured by scaling,root planing and medication.
If it any remnant infected nerve tissue is present in the canals, root canal should be repeated.
i hope this helps, take care.

Dentist Dr. Deepthi Reddy's  Response

Thank you for the query.

Rootcanal treatment when performed, usually, the reoccurence of the infection is very rare unless any irritant or foreign body causing infection in the supporting structures which will spread the infection .It could be infection in the gum which have spread to the periapical area of the tooth causing pain .

I would advice you to see your dentist get an x-ray done to rule out the exact cause for the pain and the extent of infection .If required the teeth has to be rootcanal treated again followed by a course of anibiotics and analgesics.

Hope this information helps you.
Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
Dear friend

thanks for sharing your concern

Pain after root canal treatment is not a very healthy sign. it shows infection. you need to re visit your dentist with previous x rays and also get a new one done.

so that you can compare the changes and see what is the pathology underline. Your dentist will help you in this.

if so re RCT has to be carried out. meanwhile you can take analgesics and anti biotic.

AUGUMENTIN 625 mg once daily for three days.

tab COMBIFLAM 500 mg twice daily for three days.

hope this helps

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Welcome to the forum.
You shouldn't be experiencing pain more than maybe 48 hours after a root canal. After the root canal your tooth should basically be "dead" since all the nerves have been removed. It's common to feel a little sensitive especially near the root tip for 12-24 hours after treatment, but then it should really not hurt again.
It could be a neighboring tooth, or it could be that the dentist missed a small canal during treatment. (Usually your root canals are fairly straight but sometimes there's tiny or microscopic offshoots ).
Definitely call your dentist and have it looked at. Like most things dental, the sooner you deal with it, the easier it will be to treat.
I hope this is helpful to you.
You can consult me again directly through my profile
Dentist Dr. Neha Gupta's  Response
I am Dr.Neha Gupta (dentist) and am glad to address to your query here.

Sometimes the root may be alot longer than the dentist could get to to totally complete the canal treatment. Please ask you dentist if this tooth may need retreatment.....He should agree to do the retreatment or if not send you to an Endodontist so that the problem can be corrected. They will drill a small hole in your crown to gain access to the root again. If the dentist has adjusted your bite several times, then he should address the pain your still having.
immediately start up with warm saline rinses & betadine rinses, along with antibiotic course including amoxycilline.

Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at healthcaremagic through my profile directly.
Dentist Dr. Khushboo Bhatia's  Response
If patient experiences pain after few months of root canal treatment and there is difficulty in chewing then the dentist has to be consulted because some times the infection is left or the filling is not done properly and it causes the pain. In such cases some times root canal re-treatment is recommended. But the diagnosis has to be made after taking the proper history, clinical examination and with x-rays.
Dentist Dr. Neha Sumra's  Response
Welcome to HCM
If you have pain in RCT treated teeth then it may be due to some vital pulp tissue remaining inside the tooth.You need to get an IOPAR done of associated tooth to rule out the shortcoming in RCT.
If you have got capping in tooth, then pain might be due to some food lodgement or some high point in cap.
You need to get proper diagnosis done.Consult your dentist & get treatment started.

Take Care

Dentist Dr. Neha Gupta's  Response
Welcome to the forum.
If the crown they placed on the tooth is not seated properly, this can cause pain. What you may be feeling are the ligaments that hold the tooth in the jaw. If you are placing a lot of stress on that tooth because the crown is not seated properly, the ligaments get stressed as well.
I hope this is helpful to you.
You can consult me again directly through my profile.
Dentist Dr. Naveen kumar's  Response
Failure of RCT is not very much uncommon.there r so many reasons attributed to this .i am listing the possible causes-1.missed root canal 2.calcified canals 3.perforation 4.improper obturation & so on. if the pain is nt that much severe it can be controlled by a painkiller NSAID.that might reduce inflammation which may cause permanent relief from pain in some cases.