Having cold sores inside mouth.

ive been breaking out inside of my mouth with cold soars. They are small white dots and some of them are red soar type things, their mostly located behind my botttom lip inside of my mouth, they eventually go away and then new ones form in new places, its been happening for about 4 weeks now and their starting to get verry annoying, i need help figuring out what i could use for it, something sold over the counter would be great! please help!
Asked On : Sun, 29 Nov 2009
Dentist 's  Response
hello, the condition u had described seems to be oral ulcers.. most common are recurrent apthous ulcers- it occurs mostly in movable mucosa of mouth... and is associated with stress, erratic eating habits and schedules, etc.. and other types of ulcerative lesions includes-traumatic ulcers,nutritional deficiency stomatitis, herpetic stomatitis, infectious mononucleosis, lichen planus.etc.. a proper clinical examination,history and exfoliative biopsy will confirm the diagnosis..if you have any skin lesion which you forgot to mention in ur query then may be its mucosal presentation of skin lesions.. if your mucosa being traumatised in the affected area by any of your sharp tooth or restoration then its grinding will solve the problem..
recurrent nature suggests that your body is having hard time dealing with it due to compromised defence system..
for pain in ulcers use any local anaesthetic gel prior to meals, then have antiseptic gel or mouthwash after meals to prevent infection in eroded surface of lesion, increase your vitamin B and C intake either dietary supplements in form of fruits/medicines.. this will help you..
in apthous ulcer case stress, smoking, erratic eating schedules should be avoided..
consult oral medicine and diagnosis specialist if the lesion doesnt resolves in 7days of treatment..
or it recurrs again..
take care.
Dentist, Endodontics Dr. Manisha Rao's  Response
Hi, you seem to be suffering from Apthous stomatitis. Please apply Mucopain and Hexigel ointments alternately 3-4 times a day and start taking mutivitamin supplements to avoid recurrence of the ulcers. Please go for a complete oral examination to rule out malocclsion of teeth that may be causing recurring ulcers.
From your history we could think the problem could be 1) Aphthous ulcers (idiopathic), 2) Infectious stomatitis due to Virus or bacteria 3)Vitamin deficiency specially B and C 4) Dental causes. We need some more information like fever, rash, abdominal tenderness ? If you don?t have the above symptoms then you can use oral antiseptic solutions for gargles, along with Vitamin B supplements like Riboflavin specifically. Fluid food and less spicy food is proper during the painful episodes. If you have the above symptoms you need clinical examination and followed by few tests to determine the cause. We suggest you to consult a physician further evaluation and treatment.