Ask a Dentist   »  

Have low fever. Noticed teething and some sores in mouth. Front gums bleeding and suffer bad breath. What can this be?

Dentist, Pedodontics
hi my daughter is 2 years old and last week got a low fever and realized her back teeth were coming in though she was teething and then a few days after that she got some sores in her mouth. we took her to the doctor and they said she had a form of herps like coldsores they gae her a mouth wash and motrin said it would go away. but now shes got bad breath and her front bottom gums are bleeding now what do i do? very worried and concerned mom of three never went through this with my older two.
Posted Fri, 30 Aug 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Amitabha Chakraborty 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Blisters in the mouth with a history of a low grade fever at two years of age clearly indicates that your daughter is suffering from Herpetic Stomatitis. Its a disorder from a virus called herpes simplex, which is present in 90% children oral cavity. So it is difficult to prevent it. Its a common viral infection to a child.

I will request you to not to get worried and tensed. This common infection is self limiting and will automatically resolve within 2 weeks, depending your child's resistance. Please be patient. Antiviral drugs like Acyclovir is of no use now as the diseases is already spread.

Please follow these instructions.
1) Use Lignocaine ointment 5% carefully over the sores every two hours so that she will feel less pain. Do not paint all over the oral cavity.
2) Use Paracetamol syrup 250 mg when she feels pain.
3) Give her plenty of water as it causes dehydration.
4) Wash your and your child's hand with soap water to avoid further contamination to other places like eye, as secondary eye infection( kerato- conjunctivitis is not uncommon).
5) Give soft food at room temperature. No citrus food. Use lignocaine application before eating or drinking, as the ulcers are really painful and child may refuse food or drink, which further leads to weakness and dehydration.
6) secondary bacterial infection may occur leading to swollen glands. In that case antibiotics may be required with doctors consultation.
7) Call doctor immediately in sign of dehydration like no urine in 8 hours, no tears while crying, dried lips and tongue etc. or she is very weak like hard to weak up from sleep.

Again, don't get tensed...your daughter will be fine soon.

Hope I had been able to address your concerns. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Follow-up: Have low fever. Noticed teething and some sores in mouth. Front gums bleeding and suffer bad breath. What can this be? 1 hour later
And her front bottom teeth bleeding with bad breath is also normal?
Answered by Dr. Amitabha Chakraborty 8 hours later
Yes,you are right. Bleeding from gum is also a feature in herpetic gingivo-stomatitis. These are because of tiny ulcerations over the gum near the tooth margins. Sometimes bleeding from ulcers flow along with saliva over the margin of tooth and it seems bleeding from gum. The bad breath could be due to secondary bacterial invasion to the ulcers. It also could be from food impaction between the teeth as it is difficult to clean the oral cavity because of painful ulcers. No antibiotics are required until you are observing her swollen face or painful glands under the lower jaw. These bacterias will be self controlled as soon as the ulcers heal.
I hope I have been able to answer your query.
You are most welcome if you have any further query.
Thanks and Regards,