Having blood clot in mouth, pain. Had molar removed. Recommend to wear gauze. Normal?

Ok I had my top right molar removed on Wednesday. On Friday I woke up with a huge blood clot hanging from the whole. I didn't feel much pain and didn't rinse my mouth out. I went to the ER and the doctor told me to wear gauze again. So yesterday I woke up and it was gone, at first I had no pain but now it hurts when I drink. Not a huge pain just a small sting. My dentist isn't in today but is on Sunday. So I just want to know is this normal or is it the start of dry socket? It doesn't hurt when I'm not eatting or drinking?
Asked On : Wed, 24 Apr 2013