Had unprotected sex, just started contraceptive pill. Worried about possible pregnancy

hello, i was asked by a doctor to start taking the contraceptive pill due to irregular periods about 3 weeks ago. i started taking it exactly 3 weeks and 2 days ago, without starting it on the first day of the bleeding . Because my periods were irregular i started taking it on a random day.Today I had unprotected sex and realised it had only been 3 weeks since i started on the pill. I was wondering if i should be worried about a possible pregnancy since the pill could not have been effective for the last three weeks. The fact that i didnt start it on the first day of the cycle is what scared me. Should i consider the morning after pill? or has the pill been effective. thank you
Asked On : Sun, 2 Sep 2012
Hi, pilarika,
Thanks for query.
As you have started the oral contraceptive without knowing the date of period and as this is first cycle so its effect as a contraceptive is nil.
You may take morning after pill if you had intercourse within 36-48 hours,otherwise it wont work.
Ok and bye.