Had bone density test during pregnancy

I had a bone density test done. Now I am worried that I may be pregnant . What harm may this have caused? I would only have been about 3 weeks.
Asked On : Thu, 24 Mar 2011
Hello, welcome to HCM. Any radiological ivestigation is avoided in first trimester of pregnancy as it can have serious damaging affects on your pregnancy unless it is really necesarry. Since you have already undergone it now you must get your pregnancy evaluated by a gynecologist and if need arises you must get it aborted. Wish you good health.
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Aashish Raghu's  Response
Welcome to Healthcare Magic
Bone density scan or DEXA is a double edged sword. It can damage the foetus if you get the scan in early first trimester. Otherwise risk is lower. If the benefit of the scan outweighs the risk then it may be performed. Keep in touch with your Doctor and evaluate your baby's growth and development regularly as advised.
General & Family Physician Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale's  Response
The exposure to any xray during first 3 months of pregnancy are known to cause foetal problems so it is to be avoided. from that point of view, MTP is adviced in risk patients .
however if the pregnancy is precious ,it can be continued with a close observation
with sonography & other investigations If indicated with an expert advice
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Fatima Clinic's  Response
Welcome to healthcare magic.
It is better to avoid xrays during the first trimester in particular and during the entire course of pregnancy in general.
Bone densitometry is not harmful during pregnancy.
Thank you.
  Anonymous's Response
welcome to HealthcareMagic
Normally bone density test (densitometry) is non-invasive & done on bones of hand or feet & is externally done .It should not cause any problems to you or your baby if you are pregnant.Take care no need to worry.