Had a twist in knees, swelling, pain, unable to bend. How long will it remain?

So this is what happened. I was playing Football 8 days ago I twisted my knee , there was no sound of popping out. I felt little pain, physio on the field completely bended & straightened my leg to check any serious injury. HE said it will be fine & advised me to get it examined by the doctor. I did not continued to play. After sometime the area around the knee got swelling , and the pain got increased. I went to orthopedic clinic the next day and had it checked out. Doctor did not recommended MRI . Doctor gave me prescription for some pills and Gel for applying. I have been doing R.I.C.E treatment... The swelling has gone down after 8 days but I am unable to completely bend or straightened my leg. I mean if I try to bend or straight it hurts badly, and i am unable to walk straightly. Any idea how long the pain is going remain in my knee, and after how long I will be able to play football? BTW Doctor as advised me to revisit the clinic after 10 days
Asked On : Fri, 8 Mar 2013