Growth in lung, no diagnosis done by bronchoscopy,<br>alternative for thoracotomy, no tuberculosis

Hi, My husband has a growth in the left lung which was detected by X-ray and CTScan. But the location of the growth is very difficult to reach. Bronchoscopy has been done but no diagnosis was possible from the sample collected. Everything came negative including Malignancy . According to the Doctor who did Brochoscopy with a special needle, it was very very difficult to reach the position and puncture it, it is sitting in between two vessel. Now he is suggesting Thoracotomy to reach there and collect the tissue. I want to know what is the alternative to avoid such invasive process. And it could be unnecessarily done if nothing is there. And the patient doesn t have any sort of problem to health. He never smoked in life and no other tobaco contacts. The shadow in the X-Ray plate was noticed while doing a regular health check-up. TB tests are also negative. Please suggest some process to eradicate the chances of mailgnancy and also the actual diagnosis of it. Thanks Shrabani
Asked On : Fri, 23 Mar 2012