Fluid in the knee after injury. Will it heal of its own? Occasional pain, crackles and popping sound in the knee

About 7 years ago, I fell and injured my right knee . I ve had fluid on that knee ever since, that I have left untreated. Today, I took another fall, and skinned up my right knee again. It first started bleeding , but then it started leaking a yellow liquid. I didn t go see a doctor, because it didn t seem necessary. But I m a tad concerned that injuring the same knee with fluid on it again might cause some serious problems in the future if left untreated. Do you think it s necessary I visit a doctor soon? Or do you think, like most skinned knees, it will heal up in a few days? Like I said, I have had the fluid on the knee for 7 years. I ve had no problems other than an occasional ache and pain, especially in cold weather.. and it crackles and pops when I bend down. But other than that, it hasn t been unbearable. Just need to know if this new injury is going to require a doctor visit.
Asked On : Fri, 1 Jun 2012