Got injury in shoulder, getting numbness on arms. What could be the problem?

I am a 34 year old female and i was trying to show my daughter how to do a head stand will in motion my neck bent forward and i heard a loud pop! I fell on my back the pain went through my shoulders and at the time it hurt to breath. Today my neck is sore.
Oh this was last night. I hate going to the docs so i slept on a heating pad. I can turn my head it just is really sore.
And i cant bend my chin to my chest. And it hurts to lean my head back as well.
Oh and there is no tingling or numbness in my arms or fingers.
Posted Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

In the absence of numbness/weakness/tingling in the arms/chest wall/lower limbs there is unlikely to be a neurological injury.
It is more likely that there is injury to the muscles or tendons in the neck.The pop can be attributed to injury to these areas.
You can continue to use the heat pad which would relax the muscles (muscle spasm of the neck muscles can cause pain). In addition to the heat pad, the use of anti inflammatory pain medication such as ibuprofen/cataflam/aspirin/voltaren along with muscle relaxants.
The analgesic anti inflammatory medication is likely to be available over the counter but you may need to see your doctor for the muscle relaxant.
Monitor for any signs of neurological injury and see your doctor if any symptoms develop.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions
Follow-up: Got injury in shoulder, getting numbness on arms. What could be the problem? 6 minutes later
Do u know what the pop noise was? The pain goes to my shoulders as well.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 19 minutes later
Hi, the popping noise that you heard was likely injury to the muscles or tendon in the neck.
When the muscles are overstretched it can result in that sound.They would then go into spasm. It can also occur if the vertebra of the neck rub against each other but this is less likely the case.
The pain extends to your shoulders because some of the muscles that control movement of the neck are also involved in the shoulders.
It would be best if you were to see your doctor for assessment and for a muscle relaxant.

The only way to identify which muscles are involved is by physical examination.

Feel free to ask any additional questions