Fell hard on stair, large scrape on shin, numb, getting bruised, swollen. Do i need medical advice?

I was searching for shin injury and ankle bruising/swelling. I came across another inquiry below. I fell hard on a stair almost a week ago. Large scrape on the shin. Numb to the touch for a day, then started aching the next couple days. Put leg up and iced it. Took advil. Only ankle on both sides started getting bruised and swollen. The next few days it got more purple and the shin will all of a sudden throb. I got a doc s advice who said to do the RICE method. It hurts somewhat to walk but more when still as there is sudden pain. Will this just take time to heal if I rest or should I get it checked out? Thanks.
Asked On : Tue, 16 Apr 2013