Diagnosed with tonsillitis. On penicillin still not cleared. Feel light headed, loss of appetite and insomnia. Normal?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Question
Diagnosed with tonsillitis last monday. On penecillan. Still not cleared up. Lightheaded and loss of appetite. Insomnia tonight. Worried!! Is this normal
Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
Tonsillitis can make you feel very ill and you may not feel back to normal for up to 10 days. Both tonsillitis and penicillin can make you loose your appetite and if you are not eating you may feel lightheaded and a little weak.
I would suggest drinking water, juice or energy drinks. Paracetamol and ibuprofen if you have a sore throat. Try to eat a light diet and rest if possible.
I hope you make a speedy recovery.
Dr K A Pottinger,
MBChB FRCA

Follow-up: Diagnosed with tonsillitis. On penicillin still not cleared. Feel light headed, loss of appetite and insomnia. Normal? 2 minutes later
Thanks. Struggling with cold feer and insomnia too

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 7 minutes later
Your sleeping pattern is likely to return to normal when you recover from tonsillitis. Also I hope I can reassure you that your present state is normal for tonsillitis. Perhaps reassurance will help you sleep better and would be preferable to sleeping pills.
Dr K A Pottinger,
MBChB FRCA

Meant to say cold FEET!!

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 6 minutes later
Cold feet will be due to the infection which can cause poor circulation in the feet and hands. This will only be temporary. It will recover when you start to feel well again.
Dr K A Pottinger

Follow-up: Diagnosed with tonsillitis. On penicillin still not cleared. Feel light headed, loss of appetite and insomnia. Normal? 3 minutes later
Thanks. Never ill, so bit worried. Will try and sleep

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 2 minutes later
Thank you for your query. Have a good sleep.
Dr K A Pottinger

Follow-up: Diagnosed with tonsillitis. On penicillin still not cleared. Feel light headed, loss of appetite and insomnia. Normal? 6 hours later
Is peniciilin a diuretic??

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 2 hours later
No, penicillin is an antibiotic.
Dr K A Pottinger

Follow-up: Diagnosed with tonsillitis. On penicillin still not cleared. Feel light headed, loss of appetite and insomnia. Normal? 1 minute later
Can it cause insomnia or is it the tonsilitis that is causing that??

Penicillin is not known to cause insomnia. your insomnia is most likely to be due to your tonsillitis making you feel generally unwell with disturbance in your normal daily activities.
Dr K A Pottinger

Follow-up: Diagnosed with tonsillitis. On penicillin still not cleared. Feel light headed, loss of appetite and insomnia. Normal? 17 minutes later
Ok. So this i where i am. Diagnosed with tonsillitis last monday put on penicillin. Felt rough tuesday but started to feel better on thursday and friday am. Went back to see dr on friday night and tonsils still inflammed. Given more tabs til wednesday. Got no sleep last night and woke up yhis morning feeling the worst i have...... Very very lightheaded and stiff neck. Still no appetite. Advice and reassurrance please

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 23 minutes later
What were the tablets you were given on Friday?
Dr K A Pottinger

Penicillin. Same as monday. To last til wednesday

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 33 minutes later
It does appear that you are having a severe episode if tonsillitis. Most cases of tonsillitis are caused by a virus, therefore antibiotics will make no difference to the course of the illness in many instances. Clearly your doctor considers that you warrant antibiotic treatment.
You mention you have neck stiffness as well as feeling generally worse. I have two thoughts. Either it is a severe case of tonsillitis that will take more days to show an improvement. Or these symptoms could indicate viral meningitis.
The new symptom of neck stiffness may be significant and is why I make this suggestion. Other features would be a temperature and sensitivity to the light. I would suggest resting for a few hours and if your neck stiffness is still present, see an emergency doctor.
Dr K A Pottinger

Follow-up: Diagnosed with tonsillitis. On penicillin still not cleared. Feel light headed, loss of appetite and insomnia. Normal? 6 minutes later
The neck complaint was present when tonsillitis was diagnosed so i guess the two are linked. Think my dr said bacterial as it was on both tonsils. So guess, keep taking the tablets and i will improve in a couple of days. Can still feel infection is there

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 10 minutes later
Yes, I think you most likely have a severe case of tonsillitis and will take a few more days to start to feel an improvement.
I wish you a speedy recovery.
Thank you for using Heakthcare Magic.
Dr K A Pottinger,
MBChB. FRCA

Follow-up: Diagnosed with tonsillitis. On penicillin still not cleared. Feel light headed, loss of appetite and insomnia. Normal? 0 minute later
Thanks

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 8 days later
Brief Answer:
Have your questions been answered?

Detailed Answer:
I hope you are now feeling better. If you have no further questions you can close the query and rate the answers.
Dr K A Pottinger
MBChB. FRCA