Family history of knee problems, have knee pain after doing squats. Any advice

My dad, my dads dad, and my dads brother all have serious knee problems. They all have had them replaced - my dad is about to. He was a runner, ballroom dancer, and tennis player; always very active. He started having really bad problems and gets cortisone shots in his knees every so often so that he can move around a little without excruciating pain. I ve always had weaker knees than my friends -even when I was in elementary school my knees would randomly give out. Lately I ve been starting to get some more knee pain and discomfort. I did some squats on the leg press machine which usually doesn t bother me, but ever since then it s hurt to walk a little or go up stairs. I m only 18, but have had shin splints because of flat feet (which I hear doesn t help knee problems). I was wondering if I should get this checked out or simply stop doing some things. If there s any advice you have to help my knees last a little longer than 40, that would be amazing. Thanks!
Asked On : Sun, 12 Aug 2012