External itch on the Adam's apple, GERD due to hiatus hernia. Is there any co-relation between the two?

Hi, I am from Bhutan. I have an external itch on my Adam s apple. I have serious GERD because of hiatus hernia (diagnosed in March 2011). Are these related - the itch outside and the acid inside? After how long can GERD+Hiatus Hernia lead to throat or esophageal cancer? I guess, I am a little worried. By the way, I quit smoking (after 18 years) and drinking (generally beer, after 8 years) in August 2010. Today, I drink moderately, say 10 times a year. However, I haven t touched a cigarette since I quit it in 2010. I get severe heartburns, and of late I can feel the acid up my throat. My diet is plain red/brown rice and lentils and other vegetables. But my condition has been worsening and I am beginning to have a phobia of food, because I dread the contents rushing up my throat because of wet burps, and of course I get this feeling that food only worsens my condition. I am seriously mulling surgical correction now. Please advise me.
Asked On : Fri, 14 Dec 2012
Answers:  0 Views:  118 Awaiting Answer