Does having long term conraceptives cause pain or any harm ?

I have been on the Depo Provera Shot for about 3 years now. Off and on (sometimes 3 months consecutively, sometimes once every 4 months) I have been having a raw pain feeling in my vagina and have had old brown blood chunks come out when i wipe after using the restroom. Is this normal if i have been on this contraceptive for multiple years? and what could be causing the raw pain feeling? I saw a doctor about a year ago, and she informed me that it may be the Depo-provera itself. She explained that the Depo sometimes can thin the mucus lining in your vagina, and that may be where the pain is coming from. She changed my birthcontrol to the NuvaRing, which exacerbated things much worse, and was overall horrible for me. Other doctors denied me for the IUD due to the fact i have never given birth. The one who would said that i would have to come in when i was on my period... but i do not have periods due to the depo. I m am very confused and cannot get ahold of my doctor. So i thought i would ask on here. Thanks.
Asked On : Sat, 8 Jan 2011