Diagnosed with vaginal giardia. Suffering from bladder infection. How can it be treated?

I have been diagonosed with Vaginal Giardia . I have no idea how this happened. I went in with what I thought was a regular bladder infection , I guess it does not matter, the fact is I have it. I need to know, should my fiance be treated for Giardia also. The dr said its not needed,... that does not sound right to me. I have cats. Could I have gotten it from them? The doctor said I had a bladder infection, could I have gotten it from the bladder infection somehow spreading to the vaginal region? Before I knew this (about the Giardia, my fiance and I had sex). Should he not also be treated now?
Asked On : Sun, 27 May 2012