Diagnosed with GERD. Whitish throat with pain, dry cough. Precautions to be taken?

I ve been diagnosed with GERD and have had issues for about 8 months. The past 2 days my throat has been hurting, before it was just discomfort. Today I noticed the back of my throat is whitish in color and the past couple weeks my dry cough has gone to a cough where I m spitting out mucus . I ve not been ill for this long. I m only 29 and don t really have a history of being sick for more than a couple days. I m thinking to get a blood test or an upper GI but I m super afraid of those things. I had a camera put up my nose and all the way to the bottom of my throat but not down my esophogus to my stomach or anything. I ve stopped drinking, smoking, I don t eat a few hours before sleeping but it just doesn t seem to get any better, or worse really with the exception of the past couple days. Advice?
Asked On : Wed, 8 Aug 2012