Diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis, acute flare up of ribs sternum. Taking voltaren, nexium. Take DMARD medication?

I have been diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis but am hlab27 negative. I have had an acute flare up of ribs sternum and thoracic for 6 months constant. I see a rheumatologist regularly and have been taking voltaren at 100mg per day for almost 4 months. Whilst it helps with my pain and I take nexium as a precaution for my stomach ~ I guess it is not fixing the root cause of the pain. He has been reluctant to put me on a DMARD as I am classed as a mild sufferer of AS. My question is will the pain eventually subside with this medication combo and just patience or am I in a position where only a DMARD will assist? I am scared of taking DMARD drugs what are the risks etc? Thank you!
Asked On : Fri, 5 Apr 2013