D&C done, stabbing pain in abdomen, bleeding stopped, smelly discharge. Healing time?

Hi, Had a D&C on Friday. Have had pain in stomach- esp on lower left side. Some of the pain is like period cramps which I know is fine but the stabbing pain on the left I am a bit more concerned with. i have stopped bleeding already (after less then 24 hrs) but have a slightly smelly discharge now. I also need to know if and when it is ok to return to work, hospital advised 7 day sick leave- is this normal as it seems a long period (though emotionally it might be a good idea) Many thanks
Asked On : Wed, 12 Sep 2012