D&C done, no periods, normal bleeding. Ultrasound shows bulky uterus, thickened endometrium. Treatment?

My mother is 55 years old. She has undergone D&C 2 years back. She didn t have her periods regularly for past three years. She used to get brown watery discharge at times (2 or 3 months once) But 3 days back she got bleeding like regular periods and it stopped today. She doesn t have pain. We went to doctor and according to scan report she has got She has got bulky uterus and thickened endometrium . Doctor suggests to remove the uterus. Is this necessary? Don t we have any other option?
Asked On : Tue, 4 Sep 2012