Cold, sore throat, uncontrollable cough, tickling in throat. Tried losenger. Permanent cure?

I currently have a cold that consists of a sore throat and cough . Whenever i get a cough, i have the tendency of getting tickles in my throat causing uncontrollable coughing to the point i cannot breathe. Today at work, i had a coughing attack to the point where i felt pins in my entire face. My face has a habit of turning bloodshot red while i am having this attack. What is the cause of this and how can i cause the tickle to go away to eliminate those attacks. Drinking water and sucking on a losenger does not help.
Asked On : Sat, 12 Jan 2013