Chronic abdominal pain. No energy, low sex drive, no periods, weight loss. Stopped taking depo injection. Suggestions

Hi I am a 24 year old female, 5ft and 8st. I have had chronic abdominal pain for the past 3 years which my doctors still can't find a reason for. I have no energy, low sex drive, pain during intercourse, no periods ( I stopped taking the depo injection 7 months ago) and have had unexplained weight loss. Any help would be appreciated.
Asked On : Sat, 13 Apr 2013

Thank you for the query.

As you have been taking depomedrone for some time, it has caused adrenal insufficiency. It is because you have blocked with the medicine naturally stimulating adrenals hormone called ACTH. If such situation is chronic, it is called Addisons disease. The main symptoms of it are weight lost, weakness and darker skin. Depending on how long you have been taking depomedrone, it will take up to few months to make your adrenals start working (if adrenals are not permanently destroyed). I suggest you to visit endocrinologist and have adrenals blood tests performed.

Severe abdominal pain can be related to your steroids intake. However pain during intercourse and abdominal pain are characteristic for endometriosis symptoms. Especially if your pain is cramps like, you get bloated abdomen, diarrhea and constipation alternately. Such symptoms do appear with endometriosis because it causes severe inflammation in the abdominal cavity what leads to abdominal adhesions. This adhesions give partial bowel obstruction.
Sometimes it is very hard to diagnose it.
I suggest you to have colonoscopy, abdominal CT with oral contrast (called enteroclysis). This two tests will tell if there are any narrow areas in the small and large intestine.
If nothing will be found in this tests, you should discuss with your doctor about diagnostic laparoscopy (sometimes it is the only way to diagnose endometriosis).

Hope this will help.
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Pankaj Malhan's  Response
Chronic abdominal pain is a very difficult condition to treat as there are numerous reasons for it. Most of the times no cause can be found as psychological reasons also play a part in it. I would strongly suggest you to consult a psychiatrist as these symptoms can be a manifestation of depression, as suggested by low energy,loss of libido, and weight loss.
of course diagnosis of depression should only be considered after ruling out the common conditions by ultrasound abdomen,thyroid testing and other lab tests.