Child having prolonged cold, severe cough at night, feeling of chest congestion. No improvement with medicines. Effective remedy?

My daughter ( 5 years 4 months) is suffering from prolonged cold and night cough . No other problems like fever is seen. But her chest seems to be filled always with excess mucus and gets cough while she starts sleeping during night. We have made medications several times in last three years with the specialist doctors. But it comes back a after a few months...... What to do?
Asked On : Wed, 28 Mar 2012