Child has sore throat and yellow tongue. Had half thyroid removed. Advice?

My 10 year old son had half of his thyroid removed 12 days ago. Because the pathology report came back follicular carcinoma , he is scheduled to have the rest removed in 2 days. Yesterday his throat started hurting and seems like a typical sore throat , well very sore to him and especially when he swallows. No fever. Today his tongue is yellow. The yellow color does not seem to rub or brush off? What could this be caused by? Could this halt the surgery?
Asked On : Thu, 21 Mar 2013