Baby teething. Fingers and toe peeling. Had cold, episodes of pyrexic. Explain peeling

My son (22 months old) has started suffering from his fingers and toes peeling. The skin is coming away at a significant rate, (more on his toes than fingers), it doesnt seem to be bothering him, and I let him walk around the house with no shoes and socks on as much as possible, although this is not improving or exacerbating the situation. He has recently had a cold and had episodes of being pyrexic, this was managed with normal calpol . He has recovered from the cold. The only other thing he is going through at the moment is teething , although this is also not bothering him at present. Why the peeling?
Asked On : Sun, 10 Feb 2013