An extended gout attack, on and off, swelling on right foot going down. Does an extended gout attack accelerate the deposition of tophi?

I have had an extended gout attack, on and off for 6 weeks. I have had gout for three years and had only two mild attacks before this one. The swelling on my right foot is going down only slowly. Does an extended gout attack accelerate the deposition of tophi? I am only asking about tophus deposition after extended gout attacks, and do not require all the usual information about uric acid , allopurinol etc. I am well aware of all that.
Asked On : Fri, 15 Feb 2013