Ask a Dentist   »  

Wisdom teeth removed, noticed yellow thing on gum. How long will it take to cure?

Hi, I just got my wisdom teeth removed and everything was was going good but today I noticed a yellowish thing on my gum area. I have been keeping up with everything the dentist told me to do. I don't know if this has anything to do with my bone being broken to get one of my wisdom tooths out. I know it can't be a dry socket since I do notice a whitish thing where the wisdom teeth were taken out. Since my jaw was broken how much longer will I heal? It has almost been a week since the operation. Please help me out. I want to know that it isn't anything bad. If I knew my bone had to be broken to take my extracted tooth out I would have just left it alone. I cant open my mouth as wide as I use to. I'm a bit scared. The I like the dentist was too rough. I didnt like that at all. I will never go to him again.
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 1 hour later

I would like to tell you that wisdom tooth extraction is not a simple procedure, it is somewhat complicated surgical procedure and there are many post extraction effects like pain, swelling, prolonged numbness, difficulty in mouth opening, fever, malaise.

As you mentioned you had a jaw fracture during the procedure, a complete extraction wound and jaw healing takes almost three months. But pain goes off completely in 3-5 days. You don’t worry about the other symptoms as it will subside after sometime.

Yellowish discharge near socket area can due to pus formation as the area is difficult to clean and often invites bacterial infections, you avoid food lodgement in the area and maintain a good oral hygiene. There could be a chance of some broken root piece left in the socket, to rule out this you can visit a Dentist and take an x-ray.

You don’t worry at all, just relax and take complete rest. Follow the post operative instructions given by the Dentist properly. Take complete course of antibiotics and analgesic. Take lukewarm saline gargles 3-4 times daily to give soothing effect.
Use antiseptic mouthwash gargles like chlorhexidine or betadine twice daily to prevent infection and promote healing of wound.

Hope this answers your query.

Wishing you good health!

Dr Qazi Ammara.