Will mother's diet have an impact on baby's bilirubin count?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
My nephew's eyes started to turn yellowish since 7 days after his birth. Now My nephew is one month and 2 days old, we conducted the test for bilirubin. The test result showed Conjugated Bilirubin as 1.99 mg/dl , Unconjugated Bilirubin as 17.24 mg/dl and total bilirubin as 19.23 mg/dl. He has been having lots of disturbed sleep lately. we are very worried. is the matter too serious. What needs to be done? Does the mother's diet effect his Bilirubin count? He is totally breastfeed. Please advice me.
Posted Thu, 16 Jan 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: child needs further investigations and evaluation. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. In newborns early in the life, usually there will be increased bilirubin and as the age increases the bilirubin decreases and reaches normal level by one month of age. Total bilirubin of 19.23 mg/dl is high and concerning in a 1 month old child. Further investigations to be done to look for the raised levels of serum bilirubin to look for hypothyroidism, hemolytic anemia, G6PD deficiency, and other reasons. Mother's diet has no any effect on the child bilirubin count. At present he needs the monitoring of bilirubin levels at regular intervals and other tests to know the cause for this raised level by further examination and evaluation by a pediatrician. Therefore I suggest you to consult a pediatrician for further evaluation. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.

Follow-up: Will mother's diet have an impact on baby's bilirubin count? 49 minutes later
Should Breastfeeding be continued?

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Continue breastfeeds Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for getting back. Breast feeds can be continued and adequate breast feeds will maintain the hydration of the child and helps to decrease serum bilirubin by its excretion through gut. Breast milk is not advised to stop in an infant with jaundice except on rare occasions in which the pediatrician will give the appropriate advise. The important thing is to identify the cause for this raised bilirubin and to monitor its levels. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.

Follow-up: Will mother's diet have an impact on baby's bilirubin count? 26 hours later
We went to a Pediatrician here. He made us do thyroid test. Thyroid Stimulating was 5.24. the range shows 0.27-4.2. And he prescribed some medicines for 10 days. Is there anything to be worried? I read somewhere that the baby who has thyroid problem ...would have to take thyroid medicines during his whole life. Is it true? The Total Bilirubin Is now 18.2 mg/dl. Any suggestions.

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: TSH level is in normal range. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for getting back. The normal range of Thyroid Stimulating Hormone(TSH) is 1.7-9.1 mIU/L. So the child TSH is within the normal range. So the TSH is not suggestive of hypothyroidism or thyroid problem. What are the medications prescribed by the pediatrician? Please mention the drugs name, so that I can advise you regarding medication. But as the repeat total bilirubin is decreasing(18.2mg/dL), it shows the child jaundice is improving. Be in follow up with your pediatrician till the child jaundice improves clinically. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.