Will a football hit at the temple effect my health as I'm 64 years old ?

General Surgeon
I am a 64 year old female(5ft. 4 in. and 120 pounds) with no previous head injuries or severe headaches. While attending my grandson's birthday party yesterday, one of the fathers threw a small football pretty hard and accidently hit me in the left temple. It was a hard hit that stunned me for a minute or so. I did not lose consciousness or have any signs of a concussion (no bump, dizziness) I slept okay and feel normal today. Is this something I should see a doctor about? My concern is the possibility of having problems in the future because of this hit to my head.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 34 minutes later
Thanks for query

It is good you have escaped any damage, as at present there is no obvious sign & symptom of head injury like nausea or vomiting , alteration in sensorium or unconsciousness or dizziness or fits.

I don`t think there is any need to be concerned & appointment to be sought urgently.

But sign & symptoms sometimes develop late in few patients.

So for first 24-48 hours you should be vigilant /alert.If there is any nausea or vomiting , alteration in sensorium or unconsciousness or dizziness or fits, only than you should be concerned & consultation with neurosurgeon should be sought and investigation done .

At present there is no need to be concerned, but only vigilance is required.

There don`t appear to be any imminent future problem,if remain normal for first 48 hours.

Hope I have answered your question well to your satisfaction. Wish you speedy complete recovery at the earliest.